Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

Think Thin: Satisfying Gluten-free Snack Bars

A granola bar packed with oats, seeds, dried fruits, chocolate chips or whatever tidbits you love best really hits the spot as an afternoon snack or a pick-me-up after a workout. For those of us who've gone gluten-free due to Celiac disease or gluten intolerance, these portable edibles are mostly off-limits.



Before I was diagnosed with Celiac, I loved Luna bars, Nature Valley granola bars and all things oat-y and crunchy. Sadly, Luna bars clearly state "may contain traces of wheat" and Nature Valley doesn't use gluten-free oats, so if you're strict about going gluten-free, those are out too.I tried many types of gluten-free bars only to discover they were mostly the same: nuts covered in sweet goo. I became gluten-free Goldilocks; every bar was too high in calories, too mushy, too expensive, too hard to find, or resembled bird seed too closely.

Then one day I found the Think Thin bar.

 There is nothing not to love about these products! Think Thin bars, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways:
1.) Every flavor--from brownie crunch to lemon cream pie to cookies and cream is gluten-free.

2.) The full-size bars hover around 200 calories, and these treats are available in Bite Boxes where each mini-bar is only 100 calories.

3.) These bars contain very little sugar (some varieties contain none at all) and they are excellent energy boosters, especially if you try the flavors that boast 20 grams of protein.

4.) I can find these at my local Fred Meyer or even at Winco, where they sell for about 1.30 each. They are probably available elsewhere, too but if you can't find them near you, there's always Amazon!

For a gluten-free bar that is satisfying, nutritious, and very tasty, you can't beat Think Thin bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment