Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Garden Spot Nursery: A Bellingham Boon

Anyone who has been to Bellingham, Washington has had the pants charmed off of them by the city's small-town atmosphere and delightful denizens. This weekend I visited my dear aunt, who introduced me to a Bellingham gem, The Garden Spot.


I will be the first to admit that I don't have a green thumb. I can train a tortoise to turn left and a hawk to land on your head, but plants die slow, agonizing deaths under my care. Still, even I felt inspired when I stepped inside the gates. The Garden Spot's winter exterior displays showed off pussy willows, saplings and statues.



Inside the building hung dozens of wind-chimes that gave me the feeling spring was right around the corner.



In fact, spring sort of was right around the corner! In the greenhouse we found a little haven where it seemed Jack Frost hadn't extended his bony finger. Primroses in red, purple, white, pink and yellow created a rainbow tableaux along the center of the greenhouse and these tiny self-contained gardens lined the edges.



The unusual and chic examples from the nursery's most recent class made an eye-catching display. Sedum wall gardens (I had to read the sign to figure out this term) are wooden boxes filled with ground-covering plants, held in place by a thin wire mesh.



If you haven't stopped in at the Garden Spot yet, now is the time! Drop in to chat with experts about when, what and where to plant. Sign up for classes and get the latest news via the website http://www.garden-spot.com/ Or visit The Garden Spot's Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bellingham-Garden-Spot-Nursery/127503553945311.

The Garden Spot Nursery
900 Alabama Street
Bellingham, WA 98225
360-676-5480

No comments:

Post a Comment